Not only are long miles and hills good training, but so is the weather. In March I experienced rain, hail, snow, mud, wind, and very cold mornings on many training hikes! As the weather improves and daylight hours get longer, I including some long hikes in the 25+ mile range. Yesterday I completed a 27 mile hike on the Coast to Crest trail. I started at the south shore of Lake Camanche and finished at Hwy 49 near Mokelumne Hill.
Many 2021 Pacific Crest Trail hikers are already on trail and I'm following a few on social media. Many are starting off slow, hiking only a few miles per day and taking "zero days" when there is bad weather (zero days = no hiking). Since they started so early, they can afford to hike slower and in fact they need to or they will arrive in the sierras too early and face dangerous snow conditions. With my late start, I've got to hit the ground running and be ready for 18+ miles/days for the first week and 20+ miles/day thereafter. When I reach Oregon I hope to bump up the miles to 25+ miles/day! This will increase my chances of finishing the trail before snow starts falling in northern Washington.
Thanks for following along!
Comments
Post a Comment